Żurawski enjoying new lease of life

Poland captain Maciej Żurawski is enjoying a new lease of life since joining Larissa FC in January.
No time to waste
Swapping Scottish champions Celtic FC for the mid-table Greek Super League club might seem like a step down, but for the 31-year-old forward the move could not have come at a better time. "I realise I've joined a weaker club which does not have the name and the traditions of Celtic, but I could not wait any longer," Żurawski told Polish newspaper Rzeczpospolita. "I was fed up with watching my team-mates from the stands."

Injuries
Żurawski had been hampered by injuries at Celtic Park and had fallen behind Scott McDonald and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink in Gordon Strachan's plans. He had made just five league appearances this season when the offer from Greece came in, and with the opportunity to get some games under his belt before UEFA EURO 2008™, Żurawski jumped at the chance. Żurawski joined Larissa on the final day of the winter transfer window and immediately won over the supporters by scoring the winner on his debut against AEK Athens FC.

'Enjoying football'
Last week he secured another three points for his team after converting a last-minute penalty against Iraklis FC. "This transfer has made me enjoy playing football much more and my hunger for scoring goals is greater," he said. "I like everything here at Larissa although I'm not sure I'm back to my best yet as I'm still getting to know my team-mates and the system of play."

'Uncomfortable situation'
Better, though, than sitting on the bench for Celtic. "I can't pretend my situation wasn't uncomfortable. I was captain of the [Poland] team fighting for EURO 2008 qualification and journalists were joking that I was a reserve player at my club. I ignored them but I felt something was wrong. I spoke with Poland coach Leo Beenhakker and he advised me to move to a club where I would have a strong position. I never felt he would have dropped me from the national team if I had stayed at Celtic, but now I definitely have a better chance of making the EURO 2008 squad."

'Tough group'
Poland have been drawn against Austria, Germany and Croatia in Group B and Żurawski, who featured 13 times in qualifying, admits his side face a tough task come June. "Our group is tough, but there is no sense in speculating which players our rivals will field and whether they will be in good form. We have an interesting team and we're capable of success. In every friendly we play a new, skilful player emerges which is good for the future."